Tuesday, November 22, 2011

What is a good parenting book? I have a 2 year old and I need some good advice/tips on discipline, etc.?

I love Strong Willed Child by James Dobson, Shephearding a Childs Heart and Love and Logic. They have all helped me a lot in my parenting with my daughter.What is a good parenting book? I have a 2 year old and I need some good advice/tips on discipline, etc.?
Try the Supernanny book.





I know, I know. It's not what you had in mind, right? Me either. I combed tons of bookstores when I became a SAHM to my 2 y.o. and realized I was in WAY over my head. This one was quick, easy to browse and could be implemented almost instantly. In fact, it had so many techniques in it that I tried and then found myself saying ';Duh. Why didn't I think of that?';





Anyway, I've read a ton of parenting books, but many of them come from a specific philosophy or practice and are tough to adapt. While Supernanny on TV comes across as rigid, in the book, it's easy to adapt the ideas to meet the real world needs of your family.





It's one of my best purchases. ;)What is a good parenting book? I have a 2 year old and I need some good advice/tips on discipline, etc.?
Try 'How to Talk so Kids Will Listen and Listen so Kids Will Talk' by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish. I've worked in daycares and clinics for the past 10 years and this is hands-down the best resource I've found for talking to and listening to children. 'Love and Logic Magic for Early Childhood' by Fay and Fay is also a great resource. Both are wonderful resources for finding positive ways to develop relationships with your children and allowing them to make good choices on their own accord without being overbearing.
look up 1,2,3 Magic. It is a great discipline technique that doed not promote parental yelling etc. Works great for being consistant with discipline and is easy to implement.
The best advice you will get on disciplining your child will come from your parents and grandparents, you may not think so, but they are experienced and can at least tell you what won't work
Anything by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish


The ';Love %26amp; Logic'; series (on CD are best) by Jim Fay
What to Expect the Toddler Years is my favorite.
  • highlight
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment