Saturday, July 31, 2010

Any advice or tips on having a natural birth?

I'm 25 weeks pregnant and in the middle of making a birthing plan. I know I want to aim for a natural birth. Any advice? I have decided that if the pain is unbearable I will get a epideral but that's it. What are your views on pain relief during labour?Any advice or tips on having a natural birth?
I found the pain is bearable. I had a full back labour, which I am told is far more painful than stomach labour.


I made it through with one shot of morphine. I am so happy that I made it through with minimal intervention and I have every intention of doing it again with my little girl when she makes her grand entrance.


I do think it is entirely up to the woman. No-one can tell you what is manageable for you and what is not. Go with your heart as at the end of it all it is your body that is enduring the pain.


Just make sure you have a good support network who will stick to your birth plan and not try to persuade you to do something you don't want to. But also remember that your little bundle of joy may have other plans in store for you! :-DAny advice or tips on having a natural birth?
I would suggest that you make enquiries with your midwife about the possibility of a water birth. If you don't eventually feel like having the baby *in* the water, they'll get you out of it at the last minute, but at least that way you can have a hot-tub in the birthing room, your partner can go in the water too, and it's a great way to take pressure off the perineum during the transition period. Babies born this way have much less of a shock coming into this world because of the reduced pressure from the water. If you need additional pain relief you can get it too.
raspberry leaf tea (ONLY TAKEN AFTER YOU'RE 34WKS) is supposed to speed the second stage of labour up so in theory less time spent in pain.


That's what i'm taking at the mo. But my view is go in with a positive thought- each contraction is just one bit closer to having that wee bundle of joy and the longer and sorer the contraction the better your body is working to help baby out of there!!


Distraction is also supposed to help- if you can think of somethin that your birth partner can ask you/quiz you on or chat about it might help- i'm planning my first night out.


And get a TENS machine- they're really good for dulling the pain. Just wee sticky pads on your back that send pulses through your muscles- like those abs toning belts - but make sure its a maternity tens machine- speak to your midwife/physio.


I dono- it could all go belly up and i could end up demanding every pain relief going but i'm open to whatever happens. Good luck!!
im the same as you, but im 35 weeks pregnant and nearly there. Its like my mind is set in all kinds of ways. This is my first so i dont really know wat to expect but im thinking maybe the epidural if i really need it. otherwise gas and morphine. I feel if its there these days have it. but do your research on some baby websites. Im trying to get mentally prepared for during the birth. and im going walkin more because apparently it gives you an easier labour.
Tips.





Walk around to speed things up


Have a bath when your contractions are getting stronger ( if you get in too soon it could stop them)





I think pain releif is great if you have had a really long hard labour and if you need assistance delivering.
If you're not induced the pain will not be as unbearable. Remember that when it gets more intense it's nearly over. (It's epidural, btw).

No comments:

Post a Comment