Thursday, July 29, 2010

What advice/tips would you give to first time parents?

Don't worry too much about doing things right, if you try it and don't like it, try something else, nobody is grading you. Also, don't forget to love, love, love.....enjoy the small moments because they go by really fast! Don't neglect your spouse.What advice/tips would you give to first time parents?
Breast feed.What advice/tips would you give to first time parents?
Never let your MIL or your mother get to you.They will try and tell you how to do everything.And all that.And when the baby is sleeping take a nap.Cause the baby will get up alot of during the middle of the night and your going to wish you did.
Do not rely on this forum for information.





Don't subject yourself to information overload. Read the occasional parenting book but don't lose yourself in your child. You are still an individual. Best of luck %26amp; congratulations.
Alright this is what I did w/my son(I'm a first time parent~single one at that), which is now 9 months old:


Don't wake him/her up for feedings... he/she will wake up when she's hungry. My son has slept through the night pretty much since birth. He is happy, and healthy.


Breastfeed~ if it works for you. My son and I had problems, and eventually had to switch to bottle


Breastfeeding isn't as easy as it seems! There can be milk/lactation issues, latching issues, pain issues(I developed mastitus), and a few more to watch out for.


Don't listen to anybody about how to raise your child. You'll get so confused over what everybody says(it counter-reacts and you go nuts!). Also, comparing your child to another child is a no-no. They all develop different and need different things at different times.


I barely listen to the pediatrician, unless i have to. As far as feeding, sleeping, etc. i trust my instincts~ and its worked so far! Just rely on your instincts. If you don't feel like your doing something right, see if theres another way to do it.


Treasure the times with your newborn!! It goes by WAYYYYYY too fast! Cuddle and play w/your baby as much as you can, b/c by the time he/she is crawling, he/she will wanna be a lot more independant!


Baby proof a little early with plug inserts, etc. The time when he/she crawls will come sooner than you know it! And from running around like your heads' chopped off all the time, you'll completely forget to babyproof, and you'll be rushing to get that done.


You have to start getting ready to leave about an hour before you actually should leave. I was late to MANY things after Trystan was born. I'd have to keep going over the diaper bag, etc. to see what I'd be forgetting. Its a little harder than I thought to get myself, him and the diaper bag ready to leave than I thought! But after a little while, it gets easier!


It all pretty much comes natural~ and if it doesn't right away, it will. Trust me~ There were a lot of things I had to do different ways a couple times to find out which worked best for me!


Oh~ and the most important~ be PATIENT! Your new at this, and so is your baby.





Good luck! If you have any other questions, I'm happy to help! :-)
get plenty of rest when the baby is resting, and don't worry about making sure your house is clean 24/7.
1. as much as youll want to.. dont pick the baby up EVERY time it cries, sometimes it's alright to let him/her cry(unless of course theres something wrong with him or her).. it helps their lungs.. AND they wont be so spoiled later.. trust me, its good.


2.make sure you spend as much time with them as you can when theyre being good..


everything is so new and different and youll learn everything in time.. its natural.
Its the little things that matter the most to children. I read this story when I first became a mum, and I vowed to cherish every moment that I had with my daughter and to never forget or take for granted just how special she is. (sorry its long, but it has a wonderful point)





Just for this morning, I am going to smile when I see your face and laugh when I feel like crying.


Just for this morning, I will let you choose what you want to wear, and smile and say how perfect it is.


Just for this morning, I am going to step over the laundry, and pick you up and take you to the park to play.


Just for this morning, I will leave the dishes in the sink, and let you teach me how to put that puzzle of yours together.


Just for this afternoon, I will unplug the telephone and keep the computer off, and sit with you in the backyard and blow bubbles.


Just for this afternoon, I will not yell once, not even a tiny grumble when you scream and whine for the ice cream truck, and I will buy you one if he comes by.


Just for this afternoon, I won't worry about what you are going to be when you grow up, or second guess every decision I have made where you are concerned.


Just for this afternoon, I will let you help me bake cookies, and I won't stand over you trying to fix them.


Just for this afternoon, I will take us to McDonald's and buy us both a Happy Meal so you can have both toys.


Just for this evening, I will hold you in my arms and tell you a story about how you were born and how much I love you.


Just for this evening, I will let you splash in the tub and not get angry.


Just for this evening, I will let you stay up late while we sit on the porch and count all the stars.


Just for this evening, I will snuggle beside you for hours, and miss my favorite TV shows.


Just for this evening when I run my finger through your hair as you pray, I will simply be grateful that God has given me the greatest gift ever given. I will think about the mothers and fathers who are searching for their missing children, the mothers and fathers who are visiting their children's graves instead of their bedrooms, and mothers and fathers who are in hospital rooms watching their children suffer senselessly, and screaming inside that they can't handle it anymore. And when I kiss you good night I will hold you a little tighter, a little longer. It is then, that I will thank God for you, and ask him for nothing, except one more day..............
Get a subscription of Parents Magazine.
Be prepared!!!


You will:


Be broke, tired, bit*chy, selfish


Fight over the dumbest things in the world.


Lash out at your spouse because you can't get mad at a baby who doesn't like to sleep


Eat the most ridiculous things for dinner....practice making casseroles out of frozen green beans and tomato soup now!


Eat take out


Wonder if your spouse really washed his hands, like he said he did.


Hate all the other drivers on the road!!! Can't they see YOU!


Cry over commercials for Johnsons and Johnsons...


Want another baby, after the presents are cleaned up at the first birthday party.


Want to do it all again....
Follow your instincts and if people make you feel guilty for the choices you make on how to raise your baby, don't listen to them. Only you and your doctor knows whats best for your baby.
dont plan him/her around your life.


plan you life around him/her.





it makes it so much easyer, the most difficult first step is the crying. i say sleep when your child sleeps, it will be easyer then just trying to sleep at certain times.
Have alot of love, patience and humor. Don't sweat the small stuff! Don't compare to much with other kids with yours. Try to get little naps in and accept some help. I'm single mom 14yr son and twin girls 10yrs. I hope that helps out some! Good luck and enjoy everything that is to come the good and the bad!
It's not always going to be like it is in the books or movies. If you have a plan on how things will go, it probably won't, so be prepared for anything. I never listened to this one, but you should definitely sleep whenever the baby sleeps because you will need as much as you can get!!! Dirty dishes and laundry can wait a little longer. My final piece of advice is to take lots of pictures and cherish every moment because they grow and change so fast, it will be hard to believe, but you will always have the pictures to look back on! Good luck!!!
get ready for the ride of your life
learn how to roll with the punches, and make sure your sense of humor is in good working order.

No comments:

Post a Comment