Saturday, July 31, 2010

Horse People, Tips, Advice or Just Cool Home Remedies For Horse Related Things?

I thought it would be neat for everyone to share their secrets with cheap ways to do things at home or just interesting tips for showing. For Example:





1. I use Iodine on my horses feet to strengthen them


2. You can use hair spray to stick your western hat to your head at a horse show


3. You can spray hair spray on your horses back in the bareback class to help you stay on


4. Use baby oil on your horses face at shows to make him glow!





Lets share some secrets!Horse People, Tips, Advice or Just Cool Home Remedies For Horse Related Things?
Not exactly a home remedy, but some years ago on a Saturday morning, I went up to the stable and found my Arab covered with hives!!!! The poor beastie was a patchwork of swellings from his neck to his tail.





He was obviously uncomfortable but not in severe distress. I called my vet immediately, panicky because of the extent of the hives. Once my vet established that my horse wasn't having trouble breathing and that the hives were just swellings, not weeping serum or rubbed raw and open, he gave me two choices:





1. Have him come down to the stable to treat my horse. He told me he'd charge me a $75 emergency call, probably $25-50 for shots and medication, plus anything for tests that was required. Or....





2. Alternatively, he told me to go to the drugstore and buy a pack of Contac allergy capsules, and give eight of them to my horse, wait half an hour to see if this had any affect on the hives, and then call him back.





I was flabbergasted. ';Contac? Do you mean like for people, just the normal people Contac capsules?'; I asked him.





He told me that was exactly what he meant. He told me it didn't sound like my horse was in such extreme condition that he needed to come out right that second, but it was certainly my choice and if I wanted him to come out, he would.





I decided to try the Contac capsules. They were little gelatin capsules filled with tiny pills. I took eight of them apart, poured the little pills into a good portion of bran that I mixed with warm water and a LOT of molasses, and fed this to my horse. I guess my horse wasn't feeling too awful because he ate it right up.





And I'll be darned if within 15-20 minutes the hives didn't start to fade away, and within half an hour or so they were all gone!!! I called the vet back and told him, and he laughed at my surprise and told me he thought that the Contac would work, and now he didn't have to cancel his golf game.





I think I paid about $2.50 for the Contac, which was pretty good compared with a $100 vet bill.Horse People, Tips, Advice or Just Cool Home Remedies For Horse Related Things?
Cool tips, I love these :D :) I have a couple of books that are great for this - 201 tips for horses, and 201 more tips for horses. The title is something like that.





Vinegar is supposed to be a great fly repellent, although I haven't tried it yet.





You can cut the top of the squash bottle off diagonally to create a feed scoop.





Cheap washing up bowls are good for feed bowls, and easy to clean too.





Tea tree oil (undiluted) is great for healing open wounds, or cuts.











EDIT: Also, if you forget your scissors, then use a string of baling twine and use in a sawing motion through the twine on your hay bale to cut through it.
1. When you remove your horses sheets and blankets and theirs Static fix it with mixing 1 part liquid fabric softener with 3 parts water in a spray bottle. Spray over top and underneath as you're removing it and theirs no more static.





2. Dandruff - Use baby oil a little squirts here and their and your done. No more dandruff and you did it with out a bath.





3.Paper feed bags - you can use them as a mat in your truck when your feet are really muddy, or when your taking lose hay some where.





4. Use a pool net for cleaning out your stock tanks when theirs bugs and other things floating in it.
HOME MADE ELECTROLYTES for a 5 gallon pail of water


3 TBS Salt


1 TBS Lite Salt


10 Tums (antacids)


1/2 cup baby applesauce


squirt of honey or molasses





ICE PACK WRAP: quilt wraps soaked in water and rolled up. Place in plastic bag and freeze. When needed use rubbing alcohol to loosen up. The alcohol intensifies the cold and makes a great icepack wrap for legs.





TOYS: empty jugs of detergent hung by baling string. rocks inside for a stall toy.





Benadryl Cream: bee stings or fire ant stings





Metamucil 1 cup per day x 5 days: Sand Clearing from gut





WD40 on the bottom of hooves to keep snow from packing





Desitin on legs to prevent mud fever
-some layered duct tape makes for an excellent emergency easy boot XD


-bailing twine makes for great side reins when your in a pinch.


-thin braided lead ropes work well when you want rope bridle reins.


-vasilene in the hooves prevents ice from sticking, it also works well as a face highlighter


-vasilene on the hoofs to give them moisture, also works well on dandruff and sweet itch


-gelly bracelets from rubber bands on peacock stirrups. (if you break or loose a band and you don't have any replacements on hand lol)


-hair spray on your stirrup irons helps if you have problems with them sliding around


-old beach towels as saddle covers


-5 gallon buckets to hold grooming tools


-old plastic barrels are jumps


-pumpkins as jump fillers


-old christmas trees as jump fillers





this is all i can think of for right now XD
I put baby powder on my horses white face and legs to make them stand out and look clean





feeding your horse 1/4 cup of apple cidar vinegar in their grain a day will give them a fabulous coat.
One I've used in the past is bees wax too clean your tack-it gives it a real shine!!! (also you can use it as lip balm!!!)
I have given Pepto Bismol to a horse that had a bit of the runs.
  • nail polish
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment