Thursday, July 29, 2010

Need organizing tips and advice please ?

I am probably the most organized unorganized person ever. Nothing has a place but I can always tell you which pile something is in. It bugs me because I love having things put away and looking nice but I cant seem to find a system that works except for my ';mini piles everywhere'; system. Any ideas? Need organizing tips and advice please ?
Things You鈥檒l Need:





3 boxes or large bags (like trash bags)


sticky labels (or masking tape works too)


A black sharpie marker (or other permanent marker)


Maybe a friend or partner to keep you on track :)





Step1


First, decide what room you want to start with. Focus on only that room. If the room is really full of clutter, focus on one closet or one area. Gather your 3 boxes or bags, marker, and labels and get set up.





Step2


Label your 3 boxes or bags:


1) Keep


2)Give away


3)Throw away





Step3


Only empty out as much as you can sort through in an hour. Don't overwhelm yourself.





Step4


Start with large items that will help your feel more accomplished as you move more out of the room. Look at each item and say ';Do I love you?'; ';Are you functional?'; ';Do I display you?'; If not, pitch it or give it away.


_______________





Do not keep things out of guilt or because they were a gift- people will understand.





Do not keep things you do not display





Do not keep clothes that do not fit (you can buy more at a thrift store!)





When in doubt, throw it out!





If you really can't decide, put it in a ';maybe'; box and store that box away for 6 months and if you don't need it in 6 months, you can toss it!





Need organizing tips and advice please ?
~~If you are talking about papers, receipts, etc., I had this problem too. I bought a nice 2 drawer oak filing cabinet and keep in a main room (easy access). I bought hanging folders and labeled them for the most common thing I needed, then put in alphabetical order. There are never papers anywhere. I sort through the mail, each person has personal folder, all tax receipts go in another, each car has a folder, etc. Now it's easy to find anything quickly and filing is so simple, open a drawer and drop in the correct folder. I faithfully go through and clean out every 2 years so it doesn't get messy. That's been a blessing for my sanity. As for everything else, I can't buy it or keep it unless it has it's very own place (sure has saved me money!). I can't stand clutter, it makes me feel like its controlling me. Sure simplifies everything and so much easier to clean, not to mention-enjoy your home!~~
I use what I call ';the one time rule';. Instead of putting it here for now I just take the few extra steps and put it away. You will need to designate areas that things belong and put them there once and for all.
lol...same for me





Hope ya don't mind, but I have to watch this question.





The only thing I find that works for me in any way is those plastic containers that I can tag and use.
Buy a shredder if you dont already have one and keep a small trashcan by it and put things in it you get in the mail you dont need. Shred right away or wait and do it once a week. You also need labeled folders for different things. It looks more neat than a pile somewhere. Have it easy to get to like on a bookshelf in your computer room/study. Or you could get baskets too and label them for different things. Bills definitely need their own basket that is easy to see and get to and kept in order so you know what is to be paid next. Hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment