Thursday, August 19, 2010

Big moves out of province - tips and advice?

For anyone who has made an out of province move, I was wondering what tips and advice do you have from the experience?





I've checked out a lot of stuff on the internet about where I want to move to, just wouldn't mind hearing from first-hand experiences about making such a big move.Big moves out of province - tips and advice?
I moved my wife and three boys, ages 9, 2 and 1 from the Okanagan in B.C. to Moncton, New Brunswick. We rented a cube truck, my wife followed behind in our car, the air conditioning worked better in the truck so I took turns having one of the boys with me. We did the drive in 5 days stopping shortly after suppertime each evening. Took pictures at the signs showing each Province as we entered them. Best advice I have for you is to start each day early if heading east, once the sun is high enough not to be in your eyes and stop in the early evening. If you are heading west, stop each evening before the sun gets below your visor, nothing as tiring for you as looking into the sun. Remember to keep ALL of your receipts and you can claim them on your taxes(if you moved for a job), meals , gas, hotels, truck rental, everything during the move. Because our boys were so small, we had lots of things to keep them occupied, books, music, etc. We had long days but I tried to break them up by stopping early on 2 of the days, we wandered around old Quebec City for a few hours, Lake Superior for a few, etc. Feel free to e-mail me from my profile and I can help you plan a route if you like as I'm a long haul trucker, 30 plus years , all in Canada from coast to coast. Good luck.Big moves out of province - tips and advice?
I have moved from southern ontario to edmonton and back.


i do highly recommend a moving company to come and move your stuff. we calculated it and it was the cheapest. and most efficient as price of gas does fluctuate so much between provinces and even areas of the province (we just did the drive from here to NB and it was 96 in southern and 87 cents a litre in brockville)





other than getting movers in, we drove our car home and before my hubby drove the car out and i flew out with the baby after.
I am a former chef and moved several times from Ontario to, Alberta, B.C and Nova Scotia when in the trade, it is easier now with the internet, as the others have said if your moving alot a moving company is the best idea, my mother's brother moved from B.C to Ontario in the 80's and even shipped his car with the furniture.





I never had that problem , I was single and travelled out of a suitcase, but did ship some of my things via Greyhound bus, it takes a few days but is cheaper than a moving company if it is light non-breakable and is only enough to carry.





With inter-provincial moves, be prepared for some issues with attitudes about easterner's in the west, and the lifestyles they lead, when I went to Edmonton in 1982 and found it to be a bit to country for me, it took a while to adjust, funny though most of the people I worked with were transplanted easterners. I would if your alone, look at furnished places, there a bit more expensive but allow you to make your own choices when there, and you can always buy furniture when you have a bit saved and it is not going to be as hefty a cost in the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment