Saturday, August 21, 2010

Can anyone recommend a book with advice and tips on coping with a 3 year old and a 4 year old?

I find that I am quickly running out of patience and end up losing my temper and shouting at the kids too often. Is there a (good) book I can read that will give me new coping strategies and ideas on how to deal with the daily battles of teeth cleaning, getting dressed etc. without locking horns and ';going to war'; every time?Can anyone recommend a book with advice and tips on coping with a 3 year old and a 4 year old?
';What To Expect The Toddler Years'; is a great book Its made by the same people who wrote ';What to expect when you're expecting'; and What to expect the first year'; I own all three they are great detailed informational books. There was never something that I needed to know that they didn't have in the book.





http://www.amazon.com/Expect-Toddler-Yea鈥?/a>Can anyone recommend a book with advice and tips on coping with a 3 year old and a 4 year old?
I looked into buying this book but thought it was mostly about kids younger than mine. I saw another book called ';Scream Free Parenting'; by Hal Edward Runkel. I've decided to give this a go after reading the ';blurb'; on the back as I think it better fits the situation and age of my kids.

Report Abuse



They are a little old for the first book and I still haven't read the second book but Stephanie Wilder-Taylor is a wonderful author. I would recommend both of them because her style of writing just gives you a new perspective on what's going on in your life and she writes things that every mother has thought at least once.





Naptime is the New Happy Hour


Sippy cups are not for Chardonnay (read it and LOVED it)





I've heard The Out-of-Sync child is a good read and helpful.
i don't have a book, but i'm pretty good with children =] whenever you feel like yelling at a child, just remember that whatever you say to them in a calm, serious tone will be much more effective on children then just yelling at them. for example, when my cousin throws something i'll say, ';dylan, please don't throw things. it makes me nervous that you're going to hurt you or someone else. if you keep throwing things, then i'm not going to play with you anymore.'; something like that or ';pinky promises'; which often work for me can help to discipline children! if you want to get them to do something, ';bribe'; them by giving them a special privelege if they do what you ask (f.e. i told a boy who didn't want to go to bed that he could bring any special toy upstairs with him and watch tv if he went to bed and it worked!) goodluck being more patient =]
tiny dancer is doing what she does often because she won't spank them. If you tell them to do something or not to and they don't listen, spank them. Once or twice is all it takes. Look around at the children and you will find that the grownups that spank are the ones that the kids go to when there is a problem.


They need an alpha person.
The Bible. :)
first of all its kinda hard to wait until they are 3 or 4, it all starts from when then come home from the hospital, and books, I never have read any to do with kids.....kids are all about structure, rewards, routines,if you throw in the food and the love, and bubble baths it all works out. There are days that are nuts, but trust me its the routine and structure. Now, with all that said, if you are the main caretaker you are gonna want to yell and scream, and they are gonna get tired of you and want to yell and scream too. Do you have any other mothers you can talk to, and take a break. Never be afraid to ask for help....ask a friend, relative, get a babysitter and get some time for yourself, plus the kids will like the break from you also. I have been been very lucky, I have six children, one is 33, twin 16 year old twins and 4 year old triplets, plus my 98 year old mother lives with us. I work full time as an attorney, and am lucky enough to have had a maid and nanny for all of my children and mother, Now, before you say then I dont know what Im talking about, I still get the kids ready every morning, dressed, breakfast, etc, I still fix supper every night, my husband or I give them their nightly baths and we read to them each evening. You are a parent, it is normal to feel like you do, try and ask for help. Good Luck

No comments:

Post a Comment